Why Eat and Purchase Local Food? Here Are The Top 10 Reasons Why.
• Supports local farms: Buying local food keeps our local farms healthy and creates local
jobs at farms and in local food processing and distribution systems.
• Boosts local economy: Food dollars spent purchasing local Wisconsin products stays in
the our economy, creating more jobs at other local businesses.
• Less travel: Local food travels much less distance, therefore using less fuel and generating
fewer greenhouse gases and reducing the overall carbon footprint.
• Less waste: Because of the shorter distribution chain, less food is wasted in distribution,
warehousing and merchandising.
• Freshness: Local food is fresherand tastes better, because it spends less time in transit
from farm to your plate.
• Healthier For You: Due to the reduced travel time, food loses fewer nutrients and incurs
less spoilage, which means more minerals and nutrients.
• Good for the soil: Local food encourages diversification of local agriculture, which reduces
the reliance on monoculture—single crops grown over a wide area to the detriment of soils.
• Attracts tourists: Local foods promote agritourism—farmers’ markets and opportunities
to visit farms and local food producers help draw tourists to a region.
• Preserves open space: Buying local food helps local farms survive and thrive, keeping
land from being redeveloped into suburban sprawl.
• Builds more connected communities: Local foods create more vibrant communities by
connecting people with the farmers and food producers who bring them healthy local
foods. As customers of CSAs and farmers markets have discovered, they are great
* Information Credit: http://ecowatch.com/2015/04/09/why-you-should-eat-local/